Server dying at inconvenient times ..

(0 comments)

So our older server - which still had a few network shares on - decided to die .. on Saturday evening around 22:00 .. yay .. -- did I mention that server was also still the internet gateway for .. well everything? -- + DHCP server was on that (and DNS, but that is mirrored anyway so whatever)

Fortunately I had another small server already lined up and (mostly) prepared to take over the routing - and while I was at it i made it the DHCP server too for now.

So apart from the fact that the silly router we got from our ISP likes to not accept a different MAC address with the same IP as before immediately I had to wait a bit for that to work, but then just set up DHCP and the internet was up & running again .

Now about figuring out what is wrong with the server .. switiching it back on the bios gives cirtical warnings about voltages .. wonderful.. I managed to get it to boot to a root shell once more - which allowed me to copy /etc (which included the up2date DHCP config so yay!)

Since it seems to be either the power supply or maybe the - by now at least 15 years old - mainboard I decided *not* to dwell on that much longer that evening, and after internet and a few other basics were back online I called it a night.

Next morning 07:30 I'm back in the server room, opening up the server, but not seeing any easy way to use a normal (non-server) power supply to easily test things out.. after some consideration plan B: swap (some of) the hard disks over to the new server (which fortunately has 3 HDDs in, but has 8 slots as I went for the bigger one -- which was definitely good considering now!.

So i eject the old hdd from the hot-swap and try to remove the HDD .. to find out I have to go into the workshop because some joker decided to use Torx screws for that and not the usual cross/phillips .. after that out of the way the 2 hdds were in the new server and found.. but INACTIVE ARRAY was shown .. took me a while to figure out how to deal with it -- I purposely did only put one of each of the mirrored disks in the new server as a precaution.

So anyway the steps to get them working:

  1. run mdadm -E --scan
  2. add the arrays to /etc/mdadm.conf
  3. then - because the array is incomplete need to stop, then re-assemble (with --run) like this: mdadm --stop /dev/md121 ;  mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md121 /dev/sdd2

After that it started up again and in mdstat the inactive changed to active:

md121 : active raid1 sdd2[1]
505920 blocks [2/1] [_U]

Fortunately the LVM on that server had different names than on the newer server so no conflicts there, so I could just mount the devices.

But instead of mounting the Data shares on that server I directly passed it with virtio to the KVM/QEMU instance with my Univention Coroporate Server fileserver - as described here in my old blog post - just add a 2nd -disk and reboot it: Running UCS (Univention Corporate Server) Core on Gentoo with kvm + using an LVM volume

Currently unrated

Comments

There are currently no comments

New Comment

required

required (not published)

optional

required

Recent Posts

Archive

2019
2018
2014
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007

Categories

Authors

Feeds

RSS / Atom